I am part of a group of local artists called "Peintres dans la rue" (Painters in the street). During the summer months we exhibit our paintings in the streets of the perched villages that this area is known for. It is always a wonderful backdrop for the paintings. Yesterday we exhibited in Le Rouret. It was a beautiful day and the plane trees in the square provided lots of shade.
Here are some of my florals displayed on a stand my husband made for me.
Started paitning using a brush and finished with a palette knife
Another painting of my container plants. This one has some lovely coral coloured pelargoniums (trailing geraniums). I wondered how I was going to translate that wonderful colour in paint. After deliberating which red to use, it turned out to be quite simple. With my last order of paints I purchased some Scarlet Lake, a colour I had never used before. When I mixed it with white, the perfect coral hues appeared.
Here are some WIP photos. Step 1 - I used a red ground, which in hindsight was the wrong choice. Something that contrasted with the coral would have been better and would have made it easier to give the coral colour more pizazz.
I used a thin wash of paint to block in the local colours.
More colour and thicker paint added trying to define the lights.
In step 3 involved using more of the palette knife and adding more shadow and highlights using thicker paint for the highlights. I also added more breathing space to the upright geraniums and lightened the background. Unfortunately I was so involved in painting I forgot to take a photo.
Started using a brush and finished using a palette knife
This painting is for sale in my Etsy shop or contact me about this or any other painting HERE
Step 1, Loose block in of the local colours using thin paint
Step 2, starting to define the masses using thicker paint alternating between the brush and knife
Step 3, just using the knife now and thicker paint, looking at the shadows and highlights to get a more 3D effect
I reduced some of the busyness in the top right hand corner and added more highlights and shadows. I also made sure I had more 'breathing space' at the top of the flowers as I felt it was a bit too dense. I also made sure the colours were balanced adding a bit of red to the purples and some purples to the reds.
I painted some of my container geraniums last year. See HERE and HERE
At the beginning of the month, I mentioned that I was hosting a forum project on wetcanvas.com. The theme for the month was painting rhododendrons in any medium but paying attention to edges i.e. trying to use hard, soft and lost and found edges. All entries have now been revealed and here is the gallery of all the paintings
I think you will agree, this is a great gallery of paintings. I've been a fan of wetcanvas.com for a while. All artists help one another and projects like these help all artists, at whatever level, to connect and join in.
Well done to one and all.
I have to admit, I don't like my entry and will look at it a while before I correct some of it and post as an individual entry.
The July project is now up and running, with the theme of weeds aka wild flowers. Why not join in. The link can be found HERE