Thursday, July 11, 2013

Container Colour garden flowers oil painting

 Container colour
18x24cm (approx 7"x10")
Oil on MDF canvas panel
Started paitning using a brush and finished with a palette knife

 Another painting of my container plants. This one has some lovely coral coloured pelargoniums (trailing geraniums). I wondered how I was going to translate that wonderful colour in paint. After deliberating which red to use, it turned out to be quite simple. With my last order of paints I purchased some Scarlet Lake, a colour I had never used before. When I mixed it with white, the perfect coral hues appeared.

Here are some WIP photos.
Step 1 - I used a red ground, which in hindsight was the wrong choice. Something that contrasted with the coral would have been better and would have made it easier to give the coral colour more pizazz.

I used a thin wash of paint to block in the local colours.
Step 2
More colour and thicker paint added trying to define the lights.
Step 3
In step 3 involved using more of the palette knife and adding more shadow and highlights using thicker paint for the highlights. I also added more breathing space to the upright geraniums and lightened the background. Unfortunately I was so involved in painting I forgot to take a photo.
 
Contact me about this or any other painting HERE

I painted some of my container geraniums last year. See HERE and HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...